Tuesday, July 28, 2009

English roads



Iron Donkey chose well; for the most part I traveled on roads like this one.

However, once I got to a city it was hit or miss. Some have bike path networks that take you right to the center. But generally you're on your own with fast moving commuters on both sides. I took it slowly in places like Wells (outgoing) and Bath (incoming) and it wasn't too bad.

Cycling isn't really popular in the U.K. but it wouldn't take much to change that. On the Bath to Bristol Canal bike path I suddenly saw bikes everywhere; I thought I was in Holland. Build it and they will come.

Generally, the rural roads are fine as is. All they need, really, is some work on the rural/city interfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.