Monday, October 8, 2007

Good Beyond Hope



My trip was a combination of biking and art. I visited three of the great Dutch museums--in Amsterdam, Apeldoorn and The Hague.



Sometimes I would ride for a few hours and then have lunch at a museum. After biking, the art seemed particularly intense. However, my internal museum clock runs out after 90 minutes, so I tried to make the visits short but meaningful







The Rembrandts and Vermeers are nearly 500 years old and as everyone knows, it hasn’t been a terribly peaceful five centuries. Nevertheless, during every war, somebody managed to put his life on the line to preserve these masterpieces.

2 comments:

  1. Gordon if you like looking back at the deep history of fine paintings, then I know you'll love reading Michael Frayn's novel Headlong where the artist in question is Pieter Breughel.
    Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put it on my list, Brian. Breughel never fails to engage me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.