Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The road ahead

It rained for more than a week here. The moment the sun appeared I headed north on my bike.

R0010054.jpg



wide.jpg



Pretty soon I was in 1934. Nobody had a job. Good thing we own a few cows & an old pickup...
R0010032.jpg


Then I was in an H.P. Lovecraft story. Let's ride past here...
R0010043.jpg

at midnight when "the leprous colored moon" is full...

R0010046.jpg


...or here.
R0010042.jpg


Nuts and raisins break. Across the street, what could be the USA's furthest north palm tree. Your data may vary. Do cold, wind-whipped palms dream of tropical beaches?
R0010041.jpg


R0010050.jpg


Back on the Arcata plaza, president McKinley performed a gesture known to all politicians. In 2003 a vandal stole his right thumb. Happily, the cops recovered it. Meanwhile, the ardent campaign to move McKinley off the plaza because "he was an imperialist," was defeated in the Arcata city council due to lack of funds. You like the theme? Read all about us in The Arcata Eye and don't miss Kevin Hoover's incomparable Police Log.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gordon,

    That looks like a fun and interesting ride.

    I don't know if you noticed, but we're running a little photo contest over at EcoVelo. I was hoping you were going to participate - I enjoy your photos and appreciated the good advice you gave me when I was camera shopping.

    http://www.ecovelo.info/2009/02/12/ecovelo-photo-contest/

    Alan@EcoVelo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Looks like an amazing ride.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.