Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Work Bike

Almost every day, I haul books to the post office. But since the books weigh a pound of more each, a rack or pannier is out of the question. And balancing even a small box of books on a bike rack is a bad idea. But since the PO is less than a half a mile from my office, unless its raining, it seems nuts to drive.

In the garage my original "adult" bike, an RIH purchased in Holland back in the early 80's, languished. It took me across northern Europe and parts of Finland back then. Later it served me well as a city bike in San Francisco, where I swapped out the original 3 speed cassette for a 5 speed. Space those gears right and you can climb any hill in SF with five speeds. Everything else on the bike is original.

My Rivendell Romulus replaced it ten years ago as a sport/recreation/touring bike. But I couldn't bring myself to part with the RIH.

A few weeks ago a neighbor sold me his BOB trailer and the RIH came back to life--as a bike/pickup truck! That was my cue to clean up and polish the RIH. Now the bike, if not me, turns heads as an antique.

Here it is at the post office, loaded with a 54 lb box of books.
IMG_0534.jpg


The one wheeled trailer tracks the bike with precision through any turn. You never have to worry about snagging the rear wheel. And you don't really feel like you're hauling 54 pounds, although the steering is noticeably lighter.

IMG_0537.jpg



IMG_0536.jpg


I bought the RIH saddle in England where it was a popular mount for "Bobbies". Last week I added a set a Schwalbe 32 mm marathons. Now the RIH should be good to go for a few more decades. Steel frame, steel forks. Wrights Seat.

IMG_0549.jpg


IMG_0548.jpg




7 comments:

  1. wow whatta load - anytime I put anything heavier than a few more pounds on the frenchie I feel them immediately. I always admire the bikes+loads of trailer weight----ride on!!
    xxo.m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Meli. I tried strapping various boxes onto my rack only to have them crash to the ground down the road. Once you get used to the lighter steering you really don't notice a one wheeled trailer that much. The BOB goes on and off the bike in a few seconds, thanks to a very clever attachment system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Gordon,

    i recently acquired a used B.O.B. trailer, and like you, am pleased with its simplicity of design and ease of use. However, for hauling 50 lbs and up its not my favorite trailer... if you encounter hills and turns with that much wait in the trailer it gets a little precarious. The inertia of the load slows the bike's steering response down considerable. So when moving faster it gets a little unpredictable. The axel mounted trailers have this problem. I also have a Blue Sky bike trailer witch handles hundreds of pounds with ease and i can still ride with no hands. it was designed well. in fact, it makes a great yard cart also. Because the leverage is so effective i can move some serious mass with it. The B.O.B. i love for lighter bulky loads but be careful getting up to speed with it loaded.


    marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to see that Blue Sky, Marc. If you're the guy who bought the Brooks, I'll swing by your place next time I'm in McKinleyville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Gordon! That's one classy combination. Hey! We missed you last Sunday.
    Safe cycling,
    Steve S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the fact that the bike and trailer are a generation apart, it seems like they were made for each other. I'm still learning about trailers. Apparently, connecting to the frame below the seat post can make for a more stable ride. More to come one this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.