Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Can you fly free with your bike?

88D9D146-10C9-4EFA-8F83-FC285AF04BB2.jpg
Here's a bookmark bike costs on airlines to save, if you ever plan to take your bike along on a vacation. Last year I took my Rivendell roundtrip to Holland for nothing. However, new airline regulations may have changed all that. It depends who you choose to fly with, and where you end up. The wrong airline can charge up to $300 for an international flight--that might have been free if you'd looked around a bit.

A few years ago I rented a bike in Ireland to tour their beautiful west coast. I hope that will be my last attempt to do serious cycling on a rental. I was stuck for a week on a clunky aluminum "Mt Bike" that simply wasn't fun to ride.

2 comments:

  1. I've been quite happy with my Brompton (http://www.brompton.co.uk/), which folds so small that you can take it on a plane as regular checked luggage, yet rides like a full-sized bike. It's a tad pricey, but the convenience, especially in the city, is remarkable.

    Scott in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you want to tour for a week on a Brompton?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.