Monday, October 13, 2008

A ride around Eureka Bay

Yesterday the bay was too tempting to ignore. So...mounting my trusty Rivendell, I headed into a brisk wind for the Tsunami Zone.

T2.jpg


Tsunami sign.jpg

What, exactly, is one supposed to do about signs like TSUNAMI HAZARD ZONE and the perennial Freeway favorite: FALLING ROCKS? If you lived in the house shown here, you'd say to guests: "turn left after the Tsunami Hazard sign.

Eureka Bay spread out on my left--on my right, behind a wall of dunes, the Pacific Ocean. Both these photos are of the Bay. Why are natural disaster areas like volcanos and Tsunami zones always so beautiful?
Eureka Bay.jpg



Bay wide.jpg




The dual cycling lanes along Old Arcata Road won't be complted until next Spring, after the rains. Here's where it stands now.
Old Arcata.jpg




The dreaded Indianola intersection, will have it's own bicycle bypass lane.
Indianola.jpg



Closer to Bayside, the road is wider and brighter, however, a few gravel stretches make it tough going on a bike. Apparently, the plan is to widen the whole road at that end, to make room for the bicycle lanes.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Gordon,

    I work with Natural Resources Services, RCAA, and we're spearheading a Humboldt Bay Area Bike Map update. Can you forward me your email so we can be in touch about this effort? Thanks! Denise dmn10@humboldt.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise...What a great idea...I'll feature it here. You can contact me at arcataarts@gmail.com

    Ditto for those of you with relevant bike news, especially in Humboldt County.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Gordon

    I always enjoy my trip to your blog! Love the images of the Bay and the ever popular tsunami sign. None of those here in Flagstaff. Nice riding--there is one along Lake Mary Road that skirts a couple of nice lakes, wonderful on a warm and sunny fall day! Retirement is OK, so far!

    Hi to Iris--lovely pieces she has here. See you soon!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen,

    Arizona sounds dreamy. Someday soon...

    Meanwhile, it's back to the Tsunami Zone. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a warning sign...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photos, you made me want to visit Eureka Bay!

    "Why are natural disaster areas like volcanos and Tsunami zones always so beautiful?"
    If you ask me, I would say that´s because human beings can´t live long on those places LOL. But it´s also true that I don´t live near any of those natural dangers (even though earthquakes are something we Portuguese can´t forget).

    I´m glad I found your blog and I´ll be visiting you ever now and then ;)

    Ricardo "funride" Nunes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boring, I know, but exciting geology, such as it is, nearly always equals astonishing beauty. Except for Los Angeles, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funride: More photography to come. And thanks!

    Nigel: welcome back. Not sure what geological feature you found potentially exciting in LA. The tar pits?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.