Sunday, February 24, 2008

Small victories



Oregon now offers a bike-friendly license plate. Add this to the growing list of bike-friendly measures already in place and Oregon becomes a tempting vacation for any serious biker. I rode its glorious route 101 bike lane a couple of years ago--from Astoria to Crescent City, California. As soon as I crossed the CA border the bike lane all but disappeared and the pickup trucks veered dangerously close to my riding position. Several drivers were clearly indignant that I was even on "their" road.

The 90 miles from Crescent City to Arcata--through Redwood National Park and along the Pacific-- could (should?) be one of the world's most beautiful bike rides. However, you have to find a way to survive the steep climb south of the city, which has no shoulder at all on several narrow switchbacks.

Happily, my wife met me in Crescent City and we rode home in a pickup truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.