Saturday, September 13, 2008

September 11, 2008--road to Crater Lake

CL cloud.jpg


I'm afraid the visceral impact of an afternoon visit to Crater Lake, on the way home from a great week of cycling in Oregon, eclipsed the entire week's activities. I realize this is a cycling blog and I should be talking about bicycles. Sorry. If there are such things as interplanetary tourists, Crater Lake would have to be at the top of their list for our planet.

Meanwhile, back on earth, Jack London put it this way:

"Crater Lake is the greatest asset to southern Oregon. It is worth traveling hundreds of miles to see. I thought that I had gazed upon everything beautiful in nature as I have spent many years traveling thousands of miles to view the beauty spots of the earth, but I have reached the climax. Never again can I gaze upon the beauty spots of the earth and enjoy them as being the finest thing I have ever seen. Crater Lake is far above them all."

-- Jack London, August 11, 1911, after visting Crater Lake, Oregon

Steve Fox and I were traveling home from a week of cycling on 9/11/2008, the anniversary of the attacks on New York City. Less than a mile from the caldera's rim we rounded a bend and came upon this portentous scene. Moments later the lake itself appeared below us.

Photos of the lake to follow and some of actual biking...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.