Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Week in Santa Monica

BIB BEACH
IMG 0770

Thanks to a borrowed bike, I got out on the Santa Monica beach bike paths every morning. Say what you will about the evils of Los Angeles traffic, the car culture seems far away here.
IMG 0776IMG 0707

75 degrees at 8 am and all is well. Cruisers and hitchhikers were happening.

IMG 0815 2IMG 0813 2



Continuing south to Marina Del Rey I had the path almost to myself.

IMG 0706



I turned around on a bridge after chatting with this group.
IMG 0700

As in every Marina I've ever visited, all the ships were crowded against each other, safely tied up and deserted. Obviously, slips were at a premium, as were yachts. Almost nobody was actually sailing.

Marina

Could we pay off our national debt by simply selling all our idle yachts? I stopped for coffee. At the next table these guys were speaking a language I've never heard.

Marina table



At the age of 70 this rugged couple from Australia were traveling the world by folding bikes! I caught up with them a few miles from the end of a North American tour.
IMG 0691

The next morning I tried to find their hostel. Alas, Venice has three and this wasn't the one.

IMG 0698

Santa Monica Playland at the end of a relaxing day...
IMG 0825


The Santa Monica beach faces southwest, so the sun sets over the mountain range to the right of the beach, which feels like north to most Californians.
IMG 0834

2 comments:

Your comments are welcome. Please don't use this blog to drive traffic to a commercial website.